due to the snow and ice has its advantages. I've been thinking of knitting all week (its been a long time since I last knitted. I haven't done much knitting since Ethan was born) but I was dragging my feet since I needed to do the finishing steps on a scarf before I could start anything new. Beginning and ending projects are my least favorite parts. I like the middle part because its easy to do it without thinking and its relaxing.
Well, on Thursday Ethan finally took a good nap so I pulled out my knitting bag and was surprised at how quickly it all came back to me. I really wanted to try making a hat since all I've ever made is scarves. It looked complicated at first but it turned out to be surprisingly easy. From Thursday afternoon to Friday afternoon I made TWO toddler sized hats. I didn't have a pattern for 12-24 month size so I measured one of Ethan's hats and adjusted a pattern. Problem is I wanted to make them girlier than the pattern so Friday night I learned some basic crochet stitches (crocheting is much harder than knitting in my opinion!) and made some simple flowers to attach to the hats. I would like to learn to crochet more complicated flowers for the future but I think I need to use a thinner, less fuzzy yarn. It was hard to learn with the thick bamboo yarn that I was using.
I really like how these turned out. The bamboo yarn I used is sooo soft! I think for my next project I'd like to learn how to knit a hat the flat panel way and then maybe I'll feel up to trying to knit a design. I've had my eye on a snowflake patterned hat for a while!

Those are SO cute Liesl! I bet I know 2 little girls who will be here soon and look super cute in those hats :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jessie!
ReplyDeleteOMG they are cuter than I was imagining! :D (Not that I didn't think they would be cute, but my mind was picturing different colors.) Now I need to find outfits to go with them so they can pose for Auntie Liesl! ;)
ReplyDeleteLiesl, these turned out absolutely precious! I can't wait for you to show me how to crochet flowers. I have such a talented daughter! <3
ReplyDeleteHey Liesel, I am glad what you are doing. You are so talented in what you do. I am also thinking about taking on another hobby. I think I want to either make beading wrist bracelets or selling them by ordering them so wish me luck.
ReplyDelete