Friday, July 22, 2011

Ghost Bear Scare

 

Recently we had a "missing Ghost Bear" scare.



We thought you had lost Ghost Bear at Church. You were crying hysterically when we dropped you off at the Church nursery and the only way we could leave you was to bring Ghost Bear in from the car. We went home briefly and realized that we were missing Ghost Bear.


We searched but couldn't find him and then we realized that neither of us remembered seeing you with him when we came home from Church. We went back and looked for him and made calls to the people who were working the nursery that day and we still couldn't find him. We figured that maybe you had had him and dropped him in the hallway or parking lot or that maybe another kid had mistakenly ended up with him in their bag.


We had to stop looking to go to a birthday party for my grandmother and when we got back we tore the house apart looking for him just in case. We even looked in the toilets. We took turns holding and comforting you while the other one looked everywhere. We both triple checked the house. You cried for hours. Huge boo-hoo sobbing cries. We felt like a close friend had died. I cried with you as your mourned the lost of your precious friend.





We made the mistake of offering up Ghost Bear #2. You temporarily stopped crying until you smelled the replacement and then your cries turned to upset shrieks. We took turns wearing #2 in our shirts to try to give him our smell. I was even at the point that I was seriously considering chewing on Ghost Bear like you do just to help break him in. In the end though we had to put him away because you would throw him and then later see him on the floor and mistake him for your real Ghost Bear and then the sobs would intensify.



It was a long hard night. The day part wasn't too great either. 



When we were at my grandmother's party you saw my cousin's little girl and her blue ghost bear lovey. You lunged for it and tried to grab it from her (even though the color was different...you were desperate). At one point she handed it to you and you smelled it but it wasn't right and of course you were upset.



The Ghost Bear story ends well though! You were only missing him for one day/night. I found him by accident, in the dark, when the light from the window glinted just right on his silky lining and I realized that he was sandwiched between your bibs under your high chair tray.Since Ghost Bear matches the off-white of the highchair tray and the lining of your bibs is off-white he somehow went un-noticed. Not sure when you put him there but I'm so thankful that we found him!

Even though keeping up with Ghost Bear can be stressful, I'm so glad that you are friends. I will be sad when the day comes that you no longer need Ghost Bear.

3 comments:

  1. Even though I knew this had a happy ending, it still brought tears to my eyes. You could definitely illustrate a childrens book with these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried too. poor Ethan and poor Ghost Bear, so glad they are back together. ~natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Ethan. (And poor Mommy and Daddy!) I'm glad it didn't take too terribly long to reunite the friends. NEAT pics!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! It makes my day!