Saturday, January 12, 2013

THREE. YEARS. OLD.

My Ethan,

You are THREE. YEARS. OLD.



Wow.



I remember not long ago, when you were a tiny newborn,  and I felt overwhelmed at times, how I looked forward to age three. A time would you would articulate your needs and sleep through the night. It felt so very far away. And yet it wasn't. And now we are there.

You were a challenging infant, analytical even then and with firm opinions on things from pretty much the beginning. Back then, I had no idea that I was already seeing little insights into the toddler and preschooler that you would become. It's so funny to me how strong minded you have been from the very first. You my child will accomplish anything you set your mind on as well as anything you set your mind against. These are good things, not bad. Challenging yes, but challenging is never bad. You show such strength, even at age three. You also have a very tender side. The other day I pinched the side of my hand and you took my hand in your chubby little ones, and bent and kissed my "owie" and told me to "feel better".

You are such a wonderful blend of strong and tender. When I think of you I think back on a recent memory where you were at the playground and you saw some older boys throwing around a football. You made a beeline straight for them hoping to join in the fun. Along the way you suddenly got side-tracked. You saw a flower. You stopped to pick it and then you saw a butterfly. I watched as you skipped through the field chasing the butterfly all thoughts of the football and the other boys forgotten in your excitement. You are so sweet and tender. You notice so much about your world and have always been attuned to the tiny details. You amaze me with this ability. You are also completely boy and can be just as rough and tumble as the rest of them. You are a wonderful blend of strong and tender. My little Ferdinand.


You were and always have been a joy to me my sweet boy. I'm lucky to call you son.

Love,

Your Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! It makes my day!