I hate touching peeled banana. Apparently my son does too. In fact, he doesn't like touching any wet or slimy foods. Except for a brief period of time where he would self feed with peas, Ethan only wants to self feed with crackers, bread, or cereal. You would think that he would do dried fruit but I think that is a taste texture thing for him because those still end up on the ground. He also doesn't do cheese or chicken (at least not consistently) but i think thats general pickiness.
Sigh, I guess what i'm trying to say is that while my child can self-feed, he has no interest in doing so. I even gave him a spoon and he would hold it but thats it.
Enter the fork. Or what I refer to as the "magic fork". My mom had a fork from when we were little that was a bit smaller than the average toddler fork. Just perfect for a kid Ethan's age. First try with the fork and Ethan started spearing banana pieces and eating them off the fork. Just.Like.That. It was as if someone was giving him lessons during his sleep. Sometimes the banana would fall off and he'd whine and I would help load the fork and lay it on the tray, but then he would pick up the loaded fork and eat.
I was one proud Mama. Since the fork miracle last night, Ethan has started trying to eat with a spoon now! Of course he still holds the spoon upside down and gets food everywhere but the main thing is that he is trying. He found eating with a fork so much fun that he's interested in the spoon now. :-)
He even prodded a few peices of banana with his finger today. Yep, thats right, he touched something icky.
And all because of a fork!



If we let Abby get within reach of a bowl of spaghetti, she'll rub sauce through her hair and all over her body like it's some lavish mud treatment at a spa then look around triumphantly for someone to clap for her (for a moment, this reminds me of gruesome descriptions of victorious gladiators -- that may be because I'm a boy, though). No concern about icky-ness in our house!
ReplyDeleteToo funny! I can't even imagine that mess that must make. :-) (Its probably not as hilarious on your end as it sounds from mine)
ReplyDelete